[pct-l] Gear/Resupply questions

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 15 18:17:27 CDT 2017

David
Don't forget Yogi's books (She has a double Triple Crown)and Halfmiles app.  Having done the trail 2 1/3 times,I still use those.
I'm not a super light packer---base weight 16 lbs.
For me the size of outside net pockets is important. It gives me access quickly to trail gear ---such as rain gear,water,filter. And a place to stick a wet tent. At this point lots of stuff just gets irritating if it's hard to do.
Learn to use an ice axe before you leave on the trail.
Learn to take a deep breath and go the safest way. Two people died this year on the trail and some others were just lucky that they did not.
Don't make fires --it's irresponsible behavior
I use Altras. But really you have to walk in the shoes. Buy some now and just walk.
Look at ULA and Etawah gear--for packs.
That's a great suggestion to get the inside gear first.
If you live on the west coast try coming to one of the Aldhawest rucks in Jan/Feb. your see other peoples gear and have Wolverines go through your and others gear.
I love my tent cause I hate mosquitos and some how I just sleep better in one. I use a 6 Moon design lunar duo in Cuban fiber-- it's expensive but since I don't spend money on much --oh well. So far I've put 1,300 miles on it --it's great.
Unless it's another big snow year you won't need your ice axe until the Sierra. It really depends on when you plan to start. Early in the season Fuller ridge and Baden-Powell can be difficult.
Bear canisters are required once you get to Horseshoe Meadows until you get out of the Sierra. You can rent them if you put in your application early.
Have a great hike
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone