[pct-l] Permit

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Nov 1 20:05:30 CDT 2017

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Scott Diamond
<scott.diamond.mail at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is well stated Brick. Personally I'm a little perplexed by the extreme focus on stoves without a shutoff valve.

I'm not going to judge the merits of the orders, just what they say.
The last I saw:

The USFS order requires a shutoff valve
The BLM order doesn't

Since it is difficult to know who's land a hiker is on, going with the
shutoff valve seems to be the best way to go. Or stoveless.

The worst stove experience I've ever had was an old Bleuet stove that
turned into a spinning rocket. It flew down the mountain into a
crevasse so we never had a chance to see what caused the failure. The
USFS and the PCTA seem to be pretty heavily anti alcohol stove.