[pct-l] San Marino Woman, 27, Dies After Falling 60 Feet Down Snow Chute on Mount Whitney: Sheriff’s Office

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Sat May 27 20:49:29 CDT 2017

I am posting this tragic accident, not in a vein of fear mongering, but as
a cautionary warning regarding a little talked about danger; snow chutes-
and snow bridges... with the potential for same, collapsing under a pack
laden hiker's weight.

http://ktla.com/2017/05/24/san-marino-woman-27-dies-after-falling-60-feet-down-snow-chute-on-mount-whitney-sheriffs-office/

I am reminded by this accident, of the back country ranger with 27 years
experience, that went missing some years ago in Yosemite NP. He too, fell,
in his particular case through the trail footing, which was a snow bridge,
and was swept to his death in the freezing water underneath.

I have very little experience crossing ice chutes, or snow bridges... so
I'm asking myself right now, to find a lesson in these tragic deaths. I
will state what jumps out at me as follows: If; what I am crossing gives
way- what will happen to me, and what am I prepared to do about it? This is
what my mantra will be, if and when I encounter such a situation.

In this hiker's circumstance, almost certainly, an ice axe and crampons
would have at least allowed the person to self arrest and make it home at
the end of the day, albeit battered and bruised. I am also wondering if the
person was inexperienced to the point that they did not recognize the
danger that the snow chute represented. Granted, the article is short on
details.

Your own personal experience or opinion is greatly appreciated.

Paint.