[pct-l] Muir Trail Ranch

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 19:44:11 CST 2017

Hello Pamela,

Yes, those 5-gallon orange buckets will work just fine for a food drop at
Muir Ranch.  Since the price is the same, send the biggest bucket you can.
It is expensive but they are very organized and it's a convenient halfway
point between Kennedy Meadows and Yosemite.  There aren't many other good
resupply options for about 215 miles.  Please note though, they don't open
if there is too much snow in the Sierras.  They may not be open if you
start hiking the PCT too early.  They make no guarantees when they will
open as it is based on the snow levels.  Maybe you can give them a call
when you are in Wrightwood or Agua Dulce to see if they're open.  Maybe you
can send your Wrightwood or Agua Dulce food drop in a bucket and use it to
forward some food to Muir Ranch if they are open.

I hiked the JMT in August and there was a lot of food in the hiker box,
LOTS!!!  I regretted paying the fee as it seemed like I could have gotten
enough free food.  However, there may not be a lot of extra food when the
PCT herd goes through in June.

Good Luck