[pct-l] Discussion on hitching and the finishing medal

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 12 10:55:33 CDT 2017

To me this whole conversation is useful. All the points of view are valuable. It's part of the greater conversation that has been started about trail behavior.  See the last ALDHAWEST (spring?)gazette for more of that. No one wants damage done to the trail or the hike experience.  No one wants the trip to turn into "Whatever!"--that juvenile retort to any comment on behavior
It used to be the norm to place a rock on the trail when you went to resupply---So that you didn't miss one inch. Because that was part of the exciting intent of a long hike. Hikers used to search for their footprints after camping,so that they could have a connected path. Maybe the trail(including alternatives) could be thought of as the point of being out there. Not just how fast you can get to town. Many people who have no experience,never had a pack on their back have done the long trails. But they actually did them --whether in one year or over time. I'm most impressed by the couple who I believe finished in 2014 who took 20years to hike the PCT.
I'm glad that the controversy over Eric's hike has finally been put to rest. The ride was back north to the trail from resupply. He was hiking south. Uninformed people questioned his hike.

It is so seductive when you are tired,lonely,sore,
around a lot of people who are pressuring you to"come on take a
ride" to give in and do it. The trail is difficult for many reasons.
I see the trails changing lives. It certainly changed mine.
Remember finishing medal and the Triple crown are given out on the honor system
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone