[pct-l] trail conditions - low elevation O/P

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Mon Jun 12 10:16:18 CDT 2017

I'm looking for a few low-elevation days for the coming hot weekend,
where I haven't been recently,
and where I can avoid steep snow slopes and raging torrents.

Section O/P looks good to me, in particular the part from McCloud River
to Castle Crags Dog Trail... altitudes 2000-5000', plenty of water
and shade.      Plenty of poison oak, and probably mosquitos
and down trees too.

The oft-maligned Section O has its points of attraction.
When I did this part over July 4 in 2005, a normal snow year, it was fine
except for some anxious snow slopes west of Mushroom Rock.
http://pcnst.oakapple.net/photo/nc-pct/o/
I'm not going to try that this year, though I'd have liked to connect with
my northernmost point a few years ago at Peavine Creek.

There doesn't seem to be any 2017 O/P information at pcta.org
or pctwater.com.     Anybody have any current local info?
It's too early for through-hikers.

I also thought about Quincy-LaPorte Rd to Belden, which goes low over
the Feather River but also up to nearly 7000' which I suspect would be
pretty snowy still.

I've done Hat Creek Rim recently, but it would be a good option otherwise.