[pct-l] Section Hike

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jan 23 23:09:02 CST 2017

Mid-June NoBo starts, maybe to begin in the Sierra and go to M78....

2017...

Clearly we getting nailed so far this winter with lots of snow. Scott had some good advice to throw into the thread, but let's see if I can add anything of value...

It's beginning to look like the High Sierra, as Scott noted, may be still covered in consolidated snow into July or later on the high passes. That isn't a problem if you'd like to see some awesome scenery want to learn add snow-hiking to your list of wilderness abilities, but if you as a section hiker want to avoid the dreaded white stuff, you may be waiting a long while this season!

Also as Scott noted, and I experienced when I did my PCT thru, after a normal to heavy winter you can have off-and-on snow all the way to September in the North Cascades. I went through Oregon in July (July 4th at Crater Lake) on 3-4 feet of snow in the south and 2-3 feet in the north around Mt. Hood. So, plan for that if this winter keep going hot and heavy! Yes, Oregon offers much less steep snow situations, so swinging your feet up the state, even on snow, can be quite easy and fun. Realize that snow lingers on the shady north sides of things, so if you see on your topo map that you're going to have a short but steep, northern aspect drop into a creek canyon ahead, you might want to learn those steep snow skills, if for nothing else but peace of mind and confidence in knowing what to do to maintain your personal safety and make wise decisions.

Clair and Colton and many others looking for dry-trail summer adventures may just have to either wait until August, look for lower elevation trails, or learn your snow skills, then go have a great summer!

Shifali, this summer consolidated snow may remain covering the high sierra trails above 11,000 feet well into August. (I know that we haven't seen this "normal" type of summer in many, many moons, but this used to be the normal way back when). This means that you'll have a few miles of snow-hiking on either sides of every high pass, especially on the north sides, and steep ascents and descents. If the trail is at all exposed and melted out, you will be on and off it frequently, requiring the right footwear, traction aides, and poles (Self-arrest pole required). It is only "dicey" if you don't know how to approach it, walk on it, and get off it before postholing time, which could come very early in the day. Going over the snow-bound passes becomes a logistical thing making you get up at 0400 to be off by 0530 so you get over the pass while the snow is still "hard" (any time after the thaw starts, the snow will turn to soup around mid-morning and make for horrible snow-hiking!), so you get down to dry trail on the other side before you start postholing.

Realize everyone that when we talk about snow into summer, we, also, have to address the creek crossings, which will be high, deep, and fast, depending on when you are there staring at them.

I could go on forever talking about mountain safety, because that is what Mountain Education is all about, but I get long-winded and folks don't want to read a wall of text. So, you all should consider learning how to be safe on snow and in creeks before you go into the high and steep mountains this summer. We do offer exactly this kind of safety training directed to the inexperienced summer hiker. One of our Snow Advanced Courses will give you all you need to know and do to eliminate your fears, navigate wherever you want to go over snow, keep you safe on the ups and down (no slip and falls), boost your confidence, and allow you to enjoy whatever the high country wants to throw at you in peace of mind.

The type of training I'd encourage you all to consider would be for Early-Season JMT or Future PCT thrus:  the "SAC-7" or Early Season Mountain Advanced Course. Here are the links. Have a look and let us know how we can be of service to making sure you have a safe and fun summer in 2017!

http://mountaineducation.org/snow-advanced-course-overview/

http://mountaineducation.org/snow-advanced-course-sierra-pct-nobo-full-course-description/

http://mountaineducation.org/early-season-mountain-advanced-course-introduction/

If you want to look at the raft of valuable info we freely give regarding snow/creek safety, go to our school's Facebook page, too

https://www.facebook.com/mountaineducation/

I hope this helped!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.