[pct-l] Section Hike

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 21:13:13 CST 2017

You're not crazy Colton, but it's way too early to know what will be melted
out by then.  Typically, in mid June there's still the good possibility of
snow from the Sierra to the Canadian border.  We still found ourselves
walking daily on some leftover snow till August, north of the Sierra, but
that was a cold spring.  In years when things melt out early, as in all of
the drought years, people were entering the Sierra in early May with no
snow equipment.  So the weather closer to departure should be the guiding
star for you folks doing sections.  With not having to make it to Canada,
you're free to hike whatever sections are the best this year.

Doing Ned's training, as Scott suggests is a great way to get comfortable
with snow.  If the year is high snow by departure, you'll want to have some
kind of traction devices and an ice ax, and the ability to use both.  If we
get a quick spring melt out, which is not uncommon either, you may not need
either.

Another strategy  if the snow is high come mid June might be to start just
north of Sonora Pass and head north, as the northern Sierra is much lower
in elevation than the aptly named High Sierra to the south.  By the time
you get to Oregon, you'll be incredibly strong and you could probably knock
out the whole of Oregon, which is much faster hiking and quite beautiful.

But it's too early in the season right now to know with any certainty what
the snow pack will be come June.

Shroomer