[pct-l] fad shoes

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Mon Jan 16 07:47:59 CST 2017

> they look really goofy, to go along with how the rest of me looks.

Best argument yet for toe socks!   I'll have to try them if I can
find some to match my fishing vest.

But why try to figure everything out yourself and get it wrong,
when you can mindlessly follow group fads and get it wrong?

In that vein I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peaks and Brooks Cascadias
this year, based on pct-l endorsements,
just in time to soak them thoroughly as the drought ended.
I had been hiking in Asics GT-2000's with green Superfeet and then
blue Viesters Soles for most of my 13-year piecemeal
assault on the PCT.

So far I can't tell which is better for me - they are different.    The Altras
are made for my dirty girl gaiters, which will be convenient when trails
get dusty and stickery again in a few months.   I think I should have
gotten the Altras a half size larger though.

Also, so as not to lose any
possible benefit from the zero drop, I have not replaced the original
insoles of the Altras.     Has anybody got any insight about that?
The former Viesters Soles are no more, and now there is a new version
made from cork that no longer seems to benefit from cooking in an oven first.

And as far as cooking goes, I got a new Osprey Aether pack for this
summer's exertions, and following the instructions took it in to REI
to get the waistbelt cooked to fit, only to be told they don't find it helpful
and don't do it.