[pct-l] Body weight versus pack weight

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Wed May 4 14:14:50 CDT 2016

I agree. Additionally, 5 pounds of additional body weight is evenly distributed whereas 5 more pounds in a pack goes to the shoulders and hips exclusively.

Some have argued against the concept of "cameling-up" on the presumption that the energy expended to carry an extra liter of water in your pack is the same as inside your body. But a consumed liter of water is quickly distributed throughout the body (and disbursed by sweat and urination), while the liter in your back adds to weight placed on the shoulders and hips. I can feel an extra liter in my pack, but not in my body.

Herb
-----

"You are used to carry your own weight, so the total weight doesn't matter. What matters is the weight of your pack in comparison (%) to your body weight.

Steneo

----typed on cellphone----"