[pct-l] Road closed to Harts Pass....North Cascades

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Wed May 4 13:30:31 CDT 2016

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD499864

Forest Damage Reports Coming In

Release Date: May 2, 2016

*Wenatchee, WA* — Road damage is becoming visible as snow melts off forest
roads.  Flooding that occurred last fall, over the winter and into the
spring has damaged many roads across the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.

“To date we’ve received reports of a few clogged culverts, road washouts,
landslides, boulders on roads, and eroded bridge approaches,” said Forest
Engineer Jason Peterson.  “We won’t know the complete damage until the snow
melts off all the roads.  As reports of damage come in we are collecting
and compiling the information to address damage when and where we can.”

On April 27, there was a landslide just above the base area at Mission Ski
Area.  Mission Ridge is now closed to public access due to safety concerns
as the potential for additional landslides still exists.  No damage
occurred to structures but the slide is blocking the Mimi ski run.

On the Methow Valley Ranger District, Black Canyon Road No. 4010 is damaged
in several locations and will probably be closed through the summer.  South
Fork Gold Creek Road is closed, Benson Creek Road No. 4150 is not drivable,
and a huge boulder and rock slide is blocking Harts Pass Road No. 5400.
“Hart’s Pass is a very popular area for recreationists.  People will not be
able to access Meadows Campground or Harts Pass Trailhead until the boulder
and slide are removed, probably in mid to late summer,” Peterson said.

Last weekend, road fill over one side of a culvert arch failed, resulting
in a long sinkhole on West Chewuch Road No. 5160 causing a motorist to be
stranded for a short time.  The road was temporarily repaired and is again
useable.

Two roads on Wenatchee River Ranger District—Shaser Creek Road No. 7322 and
White River Road No. 6400—have been damaged, but the extent is not fully
known.

Several sections of damaged road have been reported on Teanaway Road No.
9737 on the Cle Elum Ranger District.  Forest Service personnel hope to
have these damaged sections repaired by early summer.  Until repairs occur,
access may be limited or difficult to Beverly Campground, Deroux Campground
and trails 1391A, 1391, 1399, 1392, 1390, and 1394. The Liberty-Beehive
Road No. 9712 has slumped and will limit access to Haney Meadows Horse Camp
probably till late summer.  Damage is also reported on French Cabin Creek
Road No. 4308.

On the Naches Ranger District, the bridge approach has been eroded on
McDaniel Lake Road No. 1502; this road will be closed through the fall of
2017.  As a result, there is no access to McDaniel Lake area, trailhead and
Trail No. 982.  Damage has also occurred on the South Fork Tieton Road No.
1000 which will impact access to Conrad Meadows.  “We won’t have an
estimated time of repair for this road until we investigate the site
further,” Peterson said.

Roadbeds at higher elevations where the snow is just melting off are
saturated and road shoulders are very soft and easily give way.  When using
forest roads, forest visitors are cautioned there could be road damage
around the next bend so drive slowly and cautiously.

“I can’t stress enough that people need to take care when driving in the
woods as the roads melt out,” Peterson said.   “If the road is soft and
wet, please don’t drive on it and avoid driving through snow drifts as
conditions change with the warming temperatures throughout the day.”

Forest visitors are reminded that more road damage may become visible as
snow continues to melt.  Please contact forest offices for current road
conditions or to report damage sites or washed out road conditions.  When
reporting these locations, please provide the road number, milepost number
and/or nearest stream crossing to the local ranger district office.