[pct-l] Bear Canister requirement after Sonora Pass

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Tue May 3 18:07:31 CDT 2016

Hi,
looking for some collective wisdom on bear canister requirements.

Over the last nine years I have slowly section hiked from Kennedy Meadows to Sonora Pass, always using a Bear Vault.
This year I plan to hike from Sonora Pass to Echo Lake.

My questions are:
is this outside of the area requiring the use of a bear canister?

even if not required by regulation, would you still use one on this trail section?

If you are wondering why I might not want to carry one, it just comes down to the weight, and secondarily the bulk in my suitcase when I fly international to the US.  I have no wish to flout regulations or give unnecessary temptation to bears.  I once spent a long night in close proximity to a destructive bear and was glad to have my food stowed in the bear vault well away from my sleeping spot.

Denis Stanton
Walks with Son