[pct-l] Quick Question re: Desert Gear

John Papini johnthomaspapini at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 11:45:59 CDT 2016

Hello! I am beginning my thru-hike in six days, on April 2, 2016. I’m packing my pack, and have a few questions about when I’ll need some of my gear; I don’t think I need everything in the desert. I appreciate your feedback! You can PM if you don’t want to bug the whole group with personalized responses (unless others have similar questions).

Obviously I’ll mail my snow equipment ahead to Kennedy Meadows - my Whippet, and my Microspikes. Unless y’all think I’ll need either of these items for any of the short snowy stretches in SoCal? If so, where should I mail to / mail home?

Bear Canister - KM

Mosquito Repellent - KM? I know I don’t need in desert, but not sure when I will! Before KM? After?

Glove liners & Rain Mitts - KM? Earlier?

Beanie - KM? I have a buff that I sleep in, but when it gets really cold I add my beanie. Would I need it in the desert? My bag does have a hood.

Cap 4 fleece hoodie - KM? Earlier? (for warmth I have a long sleeve half zip merino and a Ghost Whisperer down jacket. My Sleeping bag is a Montbell Downhugger #2 (30 degree rated). I know it gets cold in the desert, so perhaps I need the fleece earlier?

Wind Shirt, Rain Jacket, Wind Pants and Rain Kilt - I’ll take through the desert?

My LS top is a 145 merino. I also have a 120 half zip merino (lighter, breathes more) that I was thinking of taking for the desert, then sending home at KM for my heavier weight 145. Not a huge deal, but I figure it’ll be nice to have a “new” shirt 700 miles in. Will I be too cold in the desert with a 120 weight merino? I have a separate sleep shirt that is a heavier 150.

Please, if you have any other thoughts about “milestones” where you sent home / received unique gear, please let me know. When can I send my bear canister home, for instance?

Thanks again,
John