[pct-l] 2017 Section hike

Rick Amr nobohiker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 16:45:28 CDT 2016

Sabrina,

I am in the same camp - I section hike the PCT for a few years now scheduling
hikes around the family schedule. I average about 3 weekends per year and in
my first year, I took a week off from work to do the first 190 Miles.

I sounds like you have up to a week or even more for your section hike, so
that is great and will help a lot with the logistics getting to and from the
trail.

You mentioned May or July, as you may have heard from others already, July is
probably too late for Southern California but if you are ok hiking random
sections (instead of starting at the border)  you could even pick the Sierras,
which I actually plan on doing this year, but there are plenty of other
sections you can do that time of the year.

If this is your first Backpacking trip, I recommend to start with a short
weekend trip first to get experience. No book, Youtube video or message board
will be anywhere near the experience you get by getting yourself out there.

Good luck with your hike!

Section Hiker Rick

On Mar 22 2016, at 10:38 am, Sabrina Harrison <troopharrison at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone!

> I've settled on doing a section hike beginning next spring/summer. Any tips
on which stretch, what length, when to set off, etc. would be greatly
appreciated!

> Ideally, I would love to have other people around versus being all by
myself. I'm not a huge fan of heights. No aversion to the desert stretch. I
could take off right as my kids get out of school (mid May), or I could take
off while they are all at summer camp (mid July). I was thinking 100 miles
might be a good experience. I'm new to this but a pretty tough minded person.

> Thanks for being such a great resource for information!
Cheers
Sabrina