[pct-l] Pants

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:02:46 CDT 2016

Hi Lylli -

I'm not a huge fan of convertible nylon pants for hiking.  I'm a short
woman with a powerful butt and many brands (like the REI Sahara W's stuff)
I find too long and restrictive in cut for when I'm scrambling over
blowdowns, up big steps, etc. They're also too warm for me; I hate the feel
of clammy nylon on filthy skin. Still, they are pretty functional, and I
started the PCT in a pair of White Sierra nylon zipoffs that fit better
than most.  I also carried a pair of lightweight long johns for PJs and
cotton/poly shorts for town wear.

In Agua Dulce I switched it up - picked up a pair of midweight REI long
johns and started wearing those under my shorts.  This is now my preferred
clothing for hiking, without a doubt.  It gives me sun protection,
brush/thorn protection, ventilation, tick prevention...I could go on and
on.  Super comfortable and doesn't restrict my movements.  Barring the very
end of the season, I never had a problem being too cold when I wasn't
hiking.

On the other hand, I did end up carrying my nylon pants with me the entire
way. I wore them only rarely as a stand-in for rain pants when it was wet,
especially buggy, or very cold. They didn't weigh very much - otherwise I
might have sent them home.

So, maybe this post will be really unhelpful for the "do I bring pants"
part, but I hope it gives you some food for thought on the "what kind of
pants" part.

Cheers!
JZ