[pct-l] Pants

Warren Davis warrenthomasdavis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:30:42 CDT 2016

Lylli,

Just a few data points for you to consider:

I hiked a 100 mile loop in Yosemite in September 2011 and wore REI Sahara
cargo shorts (the older model -- the new ones are a lot tighter and
uncomfortable IMO) and brought thermal lowers and Marmot Precip waterproof
pants.  It got down into the upper 20s/ lower 30s at night.  At the end of
the day, I put my thermals on under my shorts and was plenty warm.  In the
morning, it was pretty chilly so I left the thermals on while I hiked until
it warmed up a bit.  Was in the 60s/70s during the day.  That worked out
fairly well, but having to take off your shoes and strip your lower half
down every morning was a little cumbersome and slightly annoying,
especially if you don't have something to sit on or lean up against while
you change so you don't step on the ground and get your socks dirty.  It
didn't rain so I never used the waterproof pants, and didn't need them for
warmth.

For this years thru-hike, I'm going to try convertible pants which I've
never done on trips longer than 5+ days.  I've worn REI sahara convertible
pants for many years on shorter trips and love them, but I just bought a
pair of prAna Stretch Zion Convertible Pants and LOVE them.  They're a
little thicker, which I like, and the material is somewhat stretchy and
very soft.  Range of motion is exceptional -- the leg cuffs don't ride up
when I do a full squat.  The integrated belt design is much better too as
it has a regular button (as opposed to a snap button) and no buckle.  The
belt tightens by a simple pull on the webbing via a strap adjuster on the
side.  The REI belt usually needs to be re-tightened periodically but the
prAna seems to stay in place.  Newer REI models may be different though
since mine are a few years old.  The inseam on the prAnas is longer too,
which I like since I'm tall.

Probably won't bring thermals.  I figure if it gets cold enough, I can put
my waterproof pants overtop (I'm considering Zpacks, although pricey) or
crawl into my bag if it gets really cold, but I think two pairs of pants
will suffice.

Warren