[pct-l] North Cascades snow load

Kit Ravensong kitravensong at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 12:28:18 CST 2016

The snow load for Harts Pass is currently 146% of normal, fantastic for NOBOs...There will be wonderful wildflowers in full bloom up north in September. It was a heavy snowload year up in the North Cascades in 1976, when I went NOBO. The Goat Rocks were magnificent with the alpine meadows loaded with wildflowers.
As a SOBOs I would be very careful in choosing the date for starting.  Snow depth influences avalanche risk which will extend much later into the season than typical. One's snow and route finding skills, assessment avalanche risk, and knowledge of alternate routes facilitate safe travel. The North Cascades highway and the road from Harts Pass are expected to open later than usual.
You can checkout the snow depth on SNOTEL at various points along the trail. There is currently below average snow depth in the Sierras while at the same time the northern end of the PCT has 1 1/2 times the average snow depth. Safe travels is not only important for us, it is important for community members who are on the search and rescue teams, as well.
Its a great year for NOBO on the PCT! Safe travels, have fun and enjoy the wonders of the trail!
Ravensong

Sent from my iPhone