[pct-l] LNT and permethrin

Cody B moonbeams13 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 22:58:31 CST 2016

Hey all, I have been staying out of this but since someone brought up
chemistry, I'm gonna pop my head in:

synthetic analog to pyrethrum. However, we need to be careful not to fall
into a naturalistic fallacy. Just because something is naturally occuring
does not mean it's safe and just because something is synthetic does not
make it bad. Permethrin is very effective and has its uses, but we need to
be careful and responsible in our use of it. It is naturally occuring in
chrysanthemums, but that is a small dose in a localized area.

My recommendations? If you're going to use permethrin, treat your clothes
BEFORE you go into the backcountry. Treat them before you head onto the
trail, or in town if you must. Put it on your clothes instead of your skin
and do not go swimming in your clothes to minimize the introduction of
permethrin in the waterways. It is very stable in both water and soil and
in turn will stick around for a long time without degrading.

I am using bug pants that are pre-treated with Permethrin, but am going to
be very cautious to avoid my clothes contacting the water as much as
possible. Permethrin can be used responsibly or irresponsibly. Strive to be
better.