[pct-l] Help! I cannot decide which section to do.

imscotty at aol.com imscotty at aol.com
Sat Mar 5 15:21:09 CST 2016

Hello all, I need to decide soon what my next PCT section will be.  I completed the JMT section last summer, and aim to do a longer six week section this summer.

Choice I:  Campo to Whitney, starting about May 14th

Pros:
Traditional NOBO hike from Campo appeals to me.
I am super psyched to see the desert.
Reports are that this is shaping up to be a banner year for the desert wildflowers.  I would be really into that.

Cons:
The idea of driving around the "Lake Fire" closure just bugs the crap out of my purist heart.   My thought is maybe I should do another section first (Choice II), and save the SoCal section for later in the hope that some of the closures in this section will open in future years.  I do have this thing about wanting my sections to be somewhat linear, but hey, I've already started with the Sierras anyway.

Choice II:  Tuolumne Meadows north to the state line, starting about mid-June

Pros:
Gives me a little more time to prepare, easier on the family.
Part of me feels that by starting with the Sierras and then the desert, I'm going straight for the frosting and leaving the cake.  Maybe I should have cake this year, and save the frosting for another year :)

Con:
Might miss out on a spectacular year for desert wildflowers.

I appreciate any insights and input you may have.

Scott