[pct-l] USB wall charges

Henry Armitage h at hpka.net
Tue Jan 26 12:40:22 CST 2016

On the subject of chargers, I want to direct folks to the best researched
article I can find on this matter:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-multiport-usb-wall-charger/

Although I didn't write it, I have tested every charger listed (except the
$120 docking station) and can confirm they are all great choices listed
there. For hiking use, I would recommend ether the Runner Up pick (Anker
PowerPort 4, with 4 USB ports) or the Small for Travel pick (iClever’s Dual
USB Travel Wall Charger, with 2 ports). Main reason is that these have
folding plugs (less likely to break in your bag) and consistent power
output.

What follows is my personal opinion of course, but as a general rule, I
would recommend you get a charger that can charge every USB recharging
device simultaneously + 1 extra (so you can share). You might not be able
to get around the weight of these (fairly minimal in any case, let me know
and I'll put the 4 port one on some scales), so you may as well get the
best function out of them. Charging everything at once minimizes time sat
by an outlet guarding your electronics. At very least, get the two port
charger as that could be one port for your phone and one for your external
battery (if using).

Since it comes up a lot, here are links to the External Batteries and Solar
Panels articles, both with a variety of choices:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-battery-packs/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-solar-battery-pack/

Don't forget your cables.

Henry