[pct-l] Troublemakers

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Tue Jan 12 20:31:02 CST 2016

I agree that more people are hiking for social reasons as opposed to the backcountry experience or the challenge.  So if you want it to be about the outdoors and not "society", then stop bringing the front country to the trailhead.  We don't need to have snacks and rides and coolers at every road crossing.  Once it's gone, then hikers won't be depending on it (or feeling entitled to it).  Trail magic is something helpful and unexpected; what is being provided now is becoming a trail circus.

The AT is partly what it is, because there is so much help and so much access from the trail to town. The PCT is considerably more isolated, so it will only become like the AT if we who aren't currently hiking keep bringing town to the trail.