[pct-l] Echo Chalet and rude hikers

Karl Ford earthford at aol.com
Fri Jan 8 12:26:56 CST 2016

I agree that most thru-hikers are responsible to the environment and polite in town. However, whenever something good in our society is publicized, more people tend to use or exploit it who may not share the same ethic. Some hikers have no knowledge of nor care about leave no trace for example. What annoyed me last spring and summer were hikers building campfires during times and locations of fire restrictions (no campfires). NPS backcountry rangers are often annoyed by thru-hikers building campfires in places and times they are not allowed and by not observing bear canister rules. Whether on trail or off, these individuals give thru-hikers a bad name. I'd like to think we could police ourselves, but some people can't take the hint. The AT has Ridgerunners who help educate hikers and maybe the PCT needs to look at this concept. Likewise, proper LNT and town behavior should be emphasized at Kickoff.

Speed