[pct-l] T-Minus One Step

Michael Belanger mikes4b22 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 27 10:24:41 CST 2016

When you are told that a journey of one thousand miles begins with a single step, the many forms that single step may take is often left out. So when dealing with a journey of roughly 2650 miles, where does it "start"? Is the first step the dream of putting foot in front of foot while tramping the American West, Even if inaction paralyzes you for a year? Two years? Your whole life? Is the first step a book, or a forum, or that first post or email you make reaching out to the surrounding community? Could that first step be buying a single piece of gear or all of your gear? How about training, does that count? Is it the plane flight down south or back west, the over night at a host's house in San Diego, the ride out to Campo, or the high five on Southern Terminus? Well which ever step you may decide began your journey, my journey has begun with a simple realization. The moment I knew I was not turning back. A seemingly insignificant event in the multitude of events transpiring around me every day, every week, all month long. The culmination of God's many blessings in my life in fulfillment of this dream. It is February 24, 2016. A simple little email in my inbox with a heading, "Your approved PCT Long-distance Permit is attached." **it just got real.

Regards,
Mike Belanger