[pct-l] PCT Oregon

Dennis Phelan dennis.phelan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:40:54 CST 2016

Having hiked Oregon in sections, both early and late in the year, I would
recommend North to South starting as early as you are planning.  Agree you
will run into snow early at Mt Hood, but once past Timberline, you should
be pretty much snow free until Mt Jefferson (2036 to 2038),  the south side
(2020 to 2013) of Jeff and have snow.  Three finger Jack (2006 to 2004)
will have snow.  The 3 sisters (1976 to 1960) will have occasional snow.
Diamond Peak (1898 to 1892) will definitely have snow.  You can take a
lower non-pct route around diamond peak.  The Mt Thielsen (1860 to 1850)
area most likely will have still have some snow.  Crater Lake (1840 to
1819) will have snow, possibly deep snow.   Devils Peak (1798 to 1793) will
probably have snow.  Mt. Ashland will probably have snow, but usually melts
out in July.   I believe heading into Oregon from the south that early you
will encounter more snow sooner than coming from the north.  You could
always start at Timberline Lodge and you will be in pretty good shape until
Mt Jefferson.  I predict the snow you will run into will be passable; your
issue won't be snow as much as it will be rain.  Oregon will be wet that
time of the year.

hope this helps

Dennis Phelan