[pct-l] Getting lost - getting hurt - fear

RMarquis hrsnarnd at webformixair.com
Thu Feb 25 12:52:50 CST 2016

I’ve been reading the post’s about getting lost or hurt and how to deal with the possibility of encountering wild animals on the trail, (both 2 legged and 4 legged).  The bear poop description got a good laugh from my husband, but it’s easy to laugh about being chewed on by a bear or big cat when one is sitting in a save location.
I only rode about 1500 miles of the trail last summer by myself but I did things that helped me feel more secure along the way.  Now, this is what I did for myself so please don’t hold it against me for deciding to meet my own needs.
I was asked by my horse friends, “weren’t you afraid of getting lost, hurt or attacked?”.  I wasn’t afraid of being out on a trail by myself having to manage 1 or 2 horses while riding and packing.  But because there were several places I camped that were near jeep roads I felt uncomfortable being alone and accessible.  Yes, I could stash my tent back in the bushes out of sight, but that didn’t help much when my horse would whinny at passing vehicles thus announcing my presence.  So I carried a small palm sized container of pepper spray and had it close at hand during the night.  No, I never used it but it gave me an option other than hiding.  Those nights my last thoughts before sleep were to pay attention to what direction the wind was blowing.  ; )  And yes, if you use a spray you may very well piss off a bear instead of making it leave, so maybe try yelling and waving your arms first, if that’s even needed.  Most bears do choose to retreat when they see you, but they are still unpredictable and don’t like being surprised.  Big cats, on the other hand, like to sneak along behind you and stalk.  I would think that getting a whiff of pepper spray up their nose might make them go away.  I don’t know for sure and don’t ever want to find out...but would/will try it if the need ever arrives.  On the trail I had the advantage of having the horses with me who did a great deal of “being aware” for me, I just had to pay attention to them.  Being prey animals they’re like that.
Then there’s the ‘getting lost’ thing.  I had Halfmile’s app loaded on my phone and used it profusely especially in the more congested/popular areas of the trail.  It works with the phone on Airplane mode thus saving one’s battery (and the phone doubled as my camera so that cut down on carried weight).  I know, I’m riding a horse, I can take everything I want.  NOT!  They’re limited just like us and most of what is taken on a pack trip is for them.  I had to pack food for them and even hay & water in most places because of the drought.  Also, not knowing if there would be enough food or water ahead on the trail was a constant concern.  But I digress.  So if you can – use the app, have maps with you and I suggest a compass if you can bare the weight.
Now getting hurt is another thing.  I don’t know anyone who wakes up in the morning deciding to slip or trip off a mountain that day, but we all know stuff happens that’s unplanned...it’s called an accident.  So I carried a Delorme Inreach with me.  Thank goodness I never needed it but I’ve met people who have used theirs and were so very happy to get the help it afforded them.  What it did do for me was to let me communicate with my husband, my wonderful support team, and let him know that I was still alive and continuing to move up the trail.  Or, when I needed to leave the Sierras north of Pichot Pass due to my mare having problems (another story), I was able to communicate with Pat and coordinate a pick up.
Not everyone needs this kind of security but that’s for individuals to decide for themselves for their own peace of mind.
Please don’t condemn me for my opinions of what worked for me and how I rode the trail.  We are all different and have different thoughts.
Thanks for letting me share mine and I hope all users of the trail have a great time on it.
hrsnarnd
Rhonda
OBTW I have my Inreach for sale if anyone is interested.