[pct-l] The future of the PCT-L

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 20:46:54 CST 2016

I joined the 2016 Facebook group devoted to hiking the trail this year.
I've been a member of the PCT-L since its inception, and have watched
how social media has changed since 1995.

I scroll the Facebook posts for stuff that expands my knowledge of
hiking.  Now, it's about gear and permits, and is much more social than
the PCT-L, which tends to focus on topics rather than streaming
questions, comments, blurbs and ads.  Persons make connections - if not
to meet for coffee - to keep up with each other as they embark on their
trail journey.  When you meet each other, you'll make the connection...
So cool...

After a couple months I'm more knowledgeable about gear, and have
lightened my load by a couple pounds - it's all on the dining room
table, ready to be stowed for a CDT shakedown desert section hike. The
"mass" of information appearing on Facebook requires 15 or 20 minutes a
day to process.  I've gotten good at picking out stuff that is
interesting to me.  Most of it isn't.

The people who seem to have "experience" on the PCT express themselves
differently on Facebook than they do here.  Here we offer perspectives,
and opinions.  Someone asks a question and there are a bunch of
just as many on Facebook, but there is so much flow, individual posts
and responses to posts.  I process twice a day now.  I feel like I'm
separating chaff from stuff that I relate to.

On Facebook there are few experienced hikers who share their
perspectives.  There is so much traffic that integrated perspectives
become part of the flow of posts and responses to posts.  It's hard to
drill down to comments on posts when there are so many posts. It's so
much more emotion based, more a dance from point to point than a sharing
of perspectives.  I'm a bit envious of the heady naievity and
trepidation that courses through Facebook.

I've been spending time in the back country since my folks took us into
the Marble Mountains in 1960 when I was eight.  Mules humped our gear to
Cliff Lake for two weeks.  The next year we spent two weeks at Lower
Wright Lake in the Marbles.  The year after that we actually carried our
own gear into the Eagle Cap Wilderness in northeastern Oregon.  We spent
three days under a 10' x 20' tarp while it rained.  A sheepherder put
our packs on his empty mules once the storm passed, and we trudged,
damp, tired and irascible to the car and home.  My mother tells the
story best - how to keep three kids, 10, 9 and 7 - entertained for three
days.

There used to be lots of posts here from new hikers expressing their
excitement and anxiety.  I remember - not to far in the past - when long
time list subscribers would tell a newbie to go to the archives to get
the answer to their question.  I always thought this was a perfect way
to turn people off from asking questions here.

Based on what's crossed the listserv this year, I think we've done a
good job marginalizing ourselves.  Maybe it's a larger phenomenon of
listservs dying in the face of more tech based social media.  For
whatever reason, people who've asked questions here are far and few in
between.

Maybe it's time to think differently about what we are doing here.

I'm a story teller.  I love to pull a memory out of the flow and
fictionalize it - emplot it to have a beginning, middle, end, and a
point.  My guess is that most of us have subscribed to the listserv for
lots of years, have lots of experience backpacking, even if we're
newbies, and have stories that can be crafted from those experiences.

Please, craft those stories.  Start out small.  Write a 500 word story
about something that happened to you hiking on the PCT and share it with
us.  What was it like the first time filtering nasty water didn't work?
What was it like working up a 2000' ridge and finding yourself thinking
more clearly than you had ever before? There are so many little
perspectives that can form the nucleus of big stories - in 500 words, or
less.

What was it like to meet someone you fell in love with, and over a
couple months lose because s/he hiked faster/slower than you?  What
piece of gear did you realize made no sense to carry, but you had an
emotional attachment to?  What was it like to hike while a family member
was dying of cancer?

There are a myriad of stories you all could share if you wanted to.

Let's make the listserv a vehicle of our perspectives, dreams, and
learning from our experiences - a place to share story.  Write what the
PCT means to you, an experience that illuminates a perspective,
something you learned or felt.

 From my experience, not many of us feel comfortable sharing what we
feel and think.  We haven't been encouraged to imagine from our
experiences and formalize it in a story.

I started a hike from Lassen to Whitney - 750 miles - with my partner in
1992.  We met the SOBO thrus and there was one guy who was so totally in
love with the one woman hiking south (the herd was seven hikers) he
shared his emotionality with us within 30 seconds of meeting him.  He
had a shop in Bellvue, WA sending him his food. He was a 24 year old
trust fund adolescent.

My girlfriend and I bought boots and packs  and stove from this shop,
and the seven degrees of separation was reduced to one.  Jane and I were
carrying two sets of fleece, and so much more that could have been shorn
for a lighter weight.

We met the object of his love in Sierra city.  We spent the night in a
second story motel room above a bar.  I could research this and get more
detailed, but you can do this.

The woman wasn't interested in this guy, and the story unfolded. Another
fellow was hiking solo, in this little group, and he too was in love
with this really independent woman, but he was poor, had low self
esteem.  My girlfriend thought his physical beauty and emotional
vulnerability was really attractive.  The thru-hiking woman was so
strong she shared how she felt for these two guys - their issues weren't
hers.  She was totally focused on getting to Canada.  She did admit,
during our trail-side/motel  conversation, that these two guys mooning
over her actually strengthened her resolve to complete the trip on her own.

If what I'm suggesting captures you, feel free to send me a draft, and
I'll read it.  If you don't have a high school diploma or have a PhD and
don't feel worthy, know that I'll get it.  I'll meet you where you are.
I want to be part of communities creating the world.  This begins with
one person taking the risk to say what they've felt, learned, or thought
about.

Trail stories are vignettes - little slices of reality - beginning,
middle and end, with a point.  500 words.

Tell your stories here.  Or, send them to me and I'll critique and
suggest...  But write them, regardless...  Write your stories....

jjolson58 at gmail.com

Jeff