[pct-l] Northern Sierra Snowfall on par with 2010

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Feb 18 15:48:06 CST 2016

I’m not a statistician nor much of a researcher, but I came across this info this morning and I thought I’d share:

I discovered that Squaw Valley Ski Resort has on its website a “Snowfall Tracker” comparing the last 6 years’ cumulative totals with this year

http://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/weather-conditions-webcams/squaw-valley-snowfall-tracker/?tab=ui-id-7

February 21, 2010 shows 301 inches of cumulative snowfall

February 18, 2016 shows 313 inches of the same.

As you know, Mountain Education is usually in the sierra during April, May, June, and July teaching snow and general wilderness skills and we remember 2010 as having 4 feet of snow on Muir Pass on July 4th! That July also had a snowline down around 11,200, meaning “summer” hikers had several miles of snow-hiking on either sides of every high pass.

Knowing what the realities may be at the higher elevations this spring (April, May, June), as told from someone who is in there every year, and what you’ll need to do to deal with them safely will help relieve worries and build in fun!

I’ll post this to the FB groups, as well...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential education and risk awareness training."