[pct-l] Desert Hiking Advice

Mel Tungate mel at tungate.com
Tue Feb 16 21:12:10 CST 2016

The only issue starting at Campo is the many hikers starting there.

If you can do the desert before it gets too hot, CA Section E is great in
March if the weather cooperates.  Starting at Agua Dulce ( you can stay at
Donna's the night before you start ), you have 24 miles of great trail.

Then you can stay at the Andersons.

Then you walk on a road, or hitch for a dozen miles or so, then go back up
to the trail when you get past the little town of Hughes Lake, then maybe 20
miles of hill hiking.

>From HikerTown at 518, you have full desert to 566.  You have to plan water
carefully ( stop at Iberdrola at 536 to make it doable. ).  Then you have OK
hiking to 541, and you are in the damaged part until 549 - it is said to be
doable, but expect some issues.  And, I doubt if it gets repaired by the
trail gorillas anytime soon - they have MUCH bigger fish to fry.

At 558, you can hitch to Tehachipi or Mojave, or wait until mm 566 ( CA Hwy
58 ).  After 566, you are in section F, and you need to make sure you have
plenty of water.  A recent hiker found it slow going with a ton of
blowdowns, but again very doable.  I doubt if the Trail Gorillas get up
there quickly either - there are some massive areas that are vital to open
down in SoCal.

Did that help?

Mel