[pct-l] Troublemakers

Mike Belanger mikes4b22 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 07:49:18 CST 2016

Hello All,
Name's Mike, a first-time and hopeful 2016
thru-hiker from the foothills of the Sierras. Now if I'm out of line, please
rein me in by all means but I'll just call it like I see it for now. In response to the December/January threads I needed to state the following

Personally, I am appalled and horrified in reading this thread about the actions
of others and have heard the horror stories of hiker encounters in-town
firsthand. It was really troubling for me to have heard this account from a
co-worker where he encountered a group of hikers at a local business. I
honestly felt ashamed and embarrassed for the behavior of other people. First
thing people to need understand is that bad news travels far and wide (the
trail is a long way from the Bay Area where I currently reside and where I
heard the aforementioned story which took place in Oregon...even farther), which
brings negative publicity to the trail community regardless of the behavior
being condoned or not. This creates incentive for all of us who intend to benefit
from the trail for many years to come.

Having no personal experience myself, I will draw on what others have said. I
can understand people want to have fun, but there needs to exist some limits.
On the trail, you're hiking your own hike. If you're not affecting the
experience of others or the trail in a negative way, do what thou wilt...in
moderation. In-town, you are an ambassador for the trail community so we need
to act in the appropriate manner. Ya know, include those "Pleases"
and "Thank You's" your mothers all undoubtedly ground into from about
the time you started walking, be conscience of how the locals see you, or more
simply, just do not offer the locals to kick your friend in the balls for a dollar.
I know, right? How the communities around the trail see the hiker 'trash' that
rolls through their homes and businesses can only stay in the positive light
with some positive steps to change the entitlement mentality.

The simple fact is that individual encounters with the outside world (okay, the
inside/other world set apart from the trail) can and do shape the opinions and
actions taken relating to our hiking community and do have lasting effects.
Whether hitching a ride into town, talking to townsfolk at a local business, or
the many interactions with trail angels along the way, it needs to be
emphasized that we are the ambassadors for each other. I'd propose publicizing
this fact on hiker podcasts (the Trail Show and Sounds of the Trail come to
mind) and hearing it from every person at the ADZPCTKO will engrain this into
conscience.

Another facet, like others have said, should really include the troops on the
ground, namely the other 95% of us who were taught manners. We need to
self-police ourselves and our friends. If we wait for outside forces to react,
we will lose the lore and everything else people have come to love about the
trail. The towns will hang "Hikers not welcome" signs and the trail
angels will withhold their spontaneous and thoughtful contributions. If the
problem derives from group-think, we need to severe the head. In the least,
don't participate in groups with these knuckleheads. The best thing, however,
would be to attack the alpha. Don't go full frontal assault right off the bat
but ramp up the pressure incrementally and respond with force (NOT physical)
in-kind.

First, pull them aside and bring to their attention the negative influence they
are having on the group, the PCT community, and the trail community at large.
Many individuals and groups are not self-aware enough to see the error in their
ways or how others perceive them (do any of you remember being 18-25,
immaturity is simply a phase...usually). If that doesn't seem to work, confront
the alpha in front of the group or the group itself if need be. The best way to
fight egos is to confront them, call them out. This is what we're really
dealing with because there is NO way individuals would act the way they do
on-trail like they would at grandma's house. Bring it to the light and let the
peer pressure do the rest.This of course takes a sort of ordinary courage many of us
have but refuse to or are afraid to exercise, but all of us have it
because we're all on the trail, attempting a bad-rump feat and a monumental
undertaking for first-timers. Fight through the fear of your own ego and the
rewards will ultimately be worth it.

If groups still can't take a hint, as a last
resort, shun them. This is a community after all, the evolution of the
primitive tribe, and in tribalism the problem children were set apart from the
rest, excommunicated. Communicate through the network that these people are no
longer welcome and take the appropriate steps within the community to severe
ties so the trail towns know 'they' are not 'us'. Don't help the bear or feed
the troll.

Sorry for the long-winded response but this is important stuff and I felt moved
to comment. With all of that being said (/written), we can't simply abandon the
trail to the roving hooligan horde or the PCT will become the AT, and the CDT
will become both in time. Positive steps for positive change.

Assuming I am able to go this year, and I've been truly thinking of nothing
but, I will hold myself personally accountable to these standards. Though,
being only human, I may need the occasional reminder from the likes of you all
you out there. Hope to see you all out there under the sun! God bless and 'Get
on tha trail!'

Mike Belanger