[pct-l] headlamp

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Wed Feb 3 20:44:08 CST 2016

Sarah,
I started out with a Petzl eLite in 2007, did very little night hiking
with it, but it was generally adequate. However, I used it going through
the underpass of I10 and really couldn't see much at all, as there was
no ambient light in there. That was actually pretty scary, and then I
missed the trail when I came out, and ended up camping off the road and
waiting until first light in the morning to (easily) locate the trail
again. But eventually I found that I absolutely could not see well
enough with it to find a decent campsite in the dark in an area with a
lot of downed trees. I got a Petzl Tikka Plus, but was always annoyed at
how heavy and bulky it was in comparison. I'm currently using a Black
Diamond Ion, and though it took some getting used to, it's fairly light
weight and provides a lot of light. Nothing to say about battery life.

Rock-Kicker

Sarah wrote:

I am gearing up to hike the trail SoBo 2017.  I've been reading quite a few blogs of people who have chosen to hike desert sections in California during the night because of the heat.  Does anyone have experience using the Petzl e+LITE for night hiking in the PCT?  If so, what was your opinion on the amount of light it provided?  Did the lamp provide enough light to navigate safely?  Also, how often did you need to replace the batteries?   And did you carry batteries with you or buy them along the way?  Were they easy to find in stores along the way?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sarah

---