[pct-l] Lightweight Quilt

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:32:35 CST 2016

Excellent advice!!!!  Unless you have extra money to throw around, unzip
and test your existing bag as a quilt before spending lots of money.

I also want to offer two more advantages of synthetic bags.  They do not
clump together after being compressed on a daily basis and will retain it's
warmth on a long distance hike.  And, synthetic bags still retain the
ability to hold some warmth, even when wet.  Down does have a higher warmth
to weight ratio when dry and brand new, before daily compression in a
pack.  Many elite successful hikers recommend down and I feel they are
genuinely offering the best advice to other hikers.  So at the end of the
day, you have to have enough compassion inside you to not want to see
animals put through a life of very cruel suffering.  I just want to say
that synthetic is not without its advantages over down.

Please choose ultra-light synthetic to end this cruel practice.  In a
similar fashion, Angora Wool is where they rip the hair off of screaming
rabbits (google it).  Many companies, Gap, Eddie Bauer, etc. now refuse to
stock products with Angora Wool.  We need to do the same with down.  I will
help anyone who wants to convert the Mountain Laurel quilt into an
ultra-light bag and today, I forwarded photos and instructions to Ron over
at Mountain Laurel to ask if he could actually start manufacturing these
bags.

San Jose seldom gets below 28 degrees but maybe on a cold night I could
head up to Grant's Ranch or Mt. Hamilton to test the bag to lower
temperatures.  I'm pretty sure my 30 ounces of converted quilt to bag and
balaclava will take me to at least 15-20 degrees.  That's getting really
close to what down will do for you!

Diet Plan