[pct-l] Hiker transport to Trail - Sonora Pass June 18th

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Fri Apr 22 22:30:47 CDT 2016

Hi PCT people,
I’m looking for suggestions and advice to help me get Back On the Trail.  I’m section-hiking the PCT one week per year since 2006.  I made made it to Sonora Pass last year so I’m trying to resume from that point.

My dates are constrained by other events. I will be starting from near San Francisco on Saturday June 18th. I’m searching for busses and/or trains to get me from Oakland to Sonora Pass on Highway 108.

One option would be to take Amtrak from Oakland to Merced and then YARTS bus to Yosemite Visitors Centre arriving at 1:30pm.  Wait around around until 4:00 pm and then get another YARTS bus to Sonora arriving about 7:30 pm.  They get out on Highway 108 and hitch.  A long day with a less-than-ideal indirect route.  Could well end up trying for a ride after dark.

Another possibility would be to Amtrak to Stockton and then get Delta Gold bus to San Andreas in Calaveras County (hwy 49) and then another bus to Stockton.  Arrival time unknown but the total distance would be much shorter.  It looks like this may only be possible on weekdays.  The web site is a bit vague as it’s geared for locals, not long-distance tourists like me.

Has anybody figured out a better way to get to Sonora Pass?

Denis Stanton
aka Walks with Son
New Zealand