[pct-l] First timer's pack

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Apr 20 20:09:28 CDT 2016

Sabrina,
Here are a few starter suggestions.

If you don't already have a pack, borrow or rent one for your first training hikes. See what's comfortable; too heavy; too small; too big; ...

Don't buy a pack until you're confident about the criteria you want, e.g., super-light? comfortable hip strap? comfortable shoulder straps? adjustable straps? exterior pockets? good access to water bottles? built-in pockets on hip strap? external straps for tent poles, ice axe, crocs, etc./

At some point, you will have decided on the rest of your gear (tent, sleeping system, clothes, stove system, toiletries, food, etc.) Then, assemble all that stuff (or its equivalent in weight and volume) and go to your outfitter to shop for the lightest, smallest, most comfortable pack that will hold all your gear. Price should not be a concern unless you have two acceptable packs at different prices. Warranty and replacement policy can also factor in, but the most important criteria will be comfort and capacity for your gear.

Just before you buy, post on this list for feedback from hikers who have used the one(s) you are considering.

And remember, the early hikers used rucksacks with no hip straps, or even pack boards or woven baskets. The worst you buy will be better than those.

Good luck. Have a great hike.

Mango