[pct-l] Cowboy camping

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:04:33 CDT 2016

Hey Erin,

I cowboy camped most of the PCT and much of the CDT and prefer that to any
shelter when I can get away with it.  That is, no rain, snow or serious
bugs.  No problem at all in the deserts on either trail.  I haven't used a
tarp with no bug protection as that is one of the main reasons I'll pitch
something when I do.  I used the Double Hexamid on the CDT and some of the
AT, and love that tarp/tent.  With a detachable bathtub floor, I could use
that alone for cowboy camping, and in serious storms, I'd pull it right up
the entry pole and entirely block out the elements when the rain was flying
sideways in the Rockies.  It's not a fast pitch and takes up a large
footprint, but for a single person it was like living in a palace all
summer long at under 1 lb.  A few times we had 2 people in it when a storm
was breaking and we didn't want to pitch two tents, and it works, but it's
tight.  I'll be taking it on my trip to Madagascar this summer, mainly for
the bugs.

Shroomer