[pct-l] Compass vs GPS & missing hikers // Re: Pct-L Digest, Vol 100, Issue 15

jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 12:56:32 CDT 2016

Herb... regarding your post ..."I do still bring a compass, but it is a cheap small one."
You are probably aware that every degree of error in a compass bearing creates 100 feet of error per mile traveled?Multiply that error by the degrees in a compass like yours and you lose direction even more. If you're out of water
and trying to make a heading to a pond that shows on a map, you could miss it entirely.
Your unit is likely only 5 degree increments and that by itself guarantees failure as to accurate direction.A brand new compass with 2 degree increments and of a name brand quality only runs about $75. And its only about3" x 2".
Also, does anyone know the outcome of the missing hiker on the PCT between Warner Springs andAnza from last year?  The official search was called off after 5 days but I can't see where they eventuallylocated him or his remains. Other PCT hikers found his gear. But not him.
That said, here's another article that I found fascinating which covers missing hikers in Oregon.
Over 200 hikers, both male and female, remain officially missing in the Oregon wilderness. The article itselfis about a male missing since 2012 with other missing hikers / hunters discussed.
Lost in Oregon: Hiker's 2012 disappearance joins hundreds of unsolved wilderness cases

|   |
Lost in Oregon: Hiker's 2012 disappearance joins hundreds of unsolved w...
 James "Jake" Dutton, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound Lane Community College graduate, left his 1998 Nissan Fron...  |   |

Personally, while I admit to being frugal and even boast of that characteristic of myself, I never go cheap onsafety gear. I go as expensive as I can afford. If you can only afford what you describe as "small and cheap," well, thats your situation. But it puts you at risk. The missing folks in this article went missing in part becausesome of them couldn't read the compass / map they had. I met a guy like that. He carried a compass but admittedhe didn't know how to use it. The article says they actually find remains of missing hunters, etc, that have a compass.The guy I met said he "had the directions."  Hint: trying to figure out how to use safety gear after being lost is not a good plan.
Day Early