[pct-l] Skipping the Mojave

DayLate07 . dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 14:31:32 CDT 2016

Steneo,

 Yes the southern part of the trail should be like this in June:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClwIj3x24Q4

Seriously, snakes will have zero impact on your hiking.  Yes they are a
little more active when it is warmer but the difference in snake activity
from May to June is almost zero.

Your decision to skip the southern section and do it in the fall is a fine
plan but the reason would be because of the heat.  Southern California is
very nice in the fall.  Water sources may be a little less available in the
fall but this is still not much of a problem.

Going to Kennedy Meadows in May means you would have to do a lot of snow
travel in the Sierra.  Unless you are experienced in alpine travel over
snow I wouldn't recommend that either.  If you are going to flip back
later, then in late May I would pick up the trail at the Cajon Pass near LA
where you will be flying in.  Or maybe Mojave/Tehachapi if you want to
get a little farther up the trail. These spots are much more accessible by
public transportation than Kennedy Meadows.

Enjoy the PCT it is a great adventure (even with the snakes)

Day-Late

PS.  You should be enjoying every encounter with the wildlife
you experience - including the snakes - all the animals out there just want
to be left alone (except for some of the habituated marmots - and all they
want is your food).  Respect them, let them be, and you will be fine.

Message: 2