[pct-l] Navigation skills

MARY E DAVISON pastormaryd at msn.com
Sat Apr 9 12:46:33 CDT 2016

Interestingly, when I was so bold a couple years ago as to say everyone on the trail ought to have a map and compass and know how to use them I was chewed out for infringing on others  on- HYOH basis. It is still my opinion. The context of my statement was a discussion on GPS. I use a GPS regularly and my skill with a GPS is better than map and compass but I always have map and compass - on the CDT I may have 2 or 3 maps.

Last year there were so many fires and so much re routing from CDT I was quite glad to have them all. No problem re routing. Gut hook was not any help once off trail. Nice on trail though.

Staying "found" is an important part of thru hiking and wilderness travel. A bunch of maps don't weigh that much and are certainly worth your life. BTW I am a 74 year old woman. If I can carry the weight of maps I bet 99.9% of those on this list or the trail can carry the weight.

Medicare Pastor
Sent from my iPhone