[pct-l] Tons of questions

DayLate07 . dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 19:37:51 CDT 2016

> .

I'll try answering a few --

> 3. Is it usually easy to get change for a coin shower, or should I carry
> quarters?

There aren't that many coin showers available - that I remember.  I never
specifically carried coins for a shower and do not ever remember not being
able to use a shower due to not having change.

> 4. Resupplying at Walker Pass on 178 seems really hard, but necessary if
> I'm going to avoid 7+ days between resupplies.  I've looked at a few
> options, and none look very good:  Getting friends/family to pick me up
> (they live far away), taking the Kern County bus (it runs infrequently),
> arranging taxi ride (very expensive), or hitchhiking (I think it's a
> fast, little-used stretch of highway?).  Are there any options I
> overlooked?

I just carried 7 days of food out of Mohave/Tehchapi

> 5. Does leaving the rain fly off of a double-wall tent cause, or prevent
> condensation?

A rain fly will decrease the amount of condensation.  So will picking a
good camp site.

> .
> 7. On the Class of 2006 PCT DVD, it looked like people might've been
> carrying bear cans in their packs in Washington (at least, it looked
> like there was something large and cylindrical inside their packs).  I
> was under the impression that people normally carry bear cans only from
> Kennedy Meadows to Sonora Pass.  Are they necessary (or realistically
> advisable) anywhere else?

Most only carry bear cans from KM north to the first place they can get rid
of it after getting out of the required areas.  Sonora Pass or just after
if not going into Bridgeport.

> 8. In areas where bear cans aren't required, do people do bear bag
> hangs?  If so, for the whole trail, or only certain sections?  Which?

Most people just sleep with their food.

> 9. Is it possible to rent microspikes or crampons?  I don't have any
> plans to use them beyond this trip, so I'd rather not buy them.  But, I
> haven't been able to find any sites that rent them by mail, like how you
> can rent bear cans.
>

> I have never heard of anyplace renting microspikes/crampons for long term,
i.e. more than a few days.

Day-Late