[pct-l] Cheap down jackets

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:29:17 CST 2015

I agree that down is still the way to go.  I have not yet seen a synthetic
that can match down.  I think someday synthetics will beat out down but not
yet.  I was just looking at the Montbell U.L. Thermawrap Jacket at 8.4 oz
it is lighter then my Uniqlo Ultra Light at 9.1 oz.  Ok we are talking
about less then an ounce, but the temp difference to greater.  Reading the
reviews off of the Montbell site people put the Thermawrap at a mid 40
degree jacket.  Just a few months ago I was using the Uniqlo down to
freezing and it was performing well.  No extra layers needed.

Yes down is a problem when it gets wet, packing for rain is an art unto
itself.  The only time I had a problem with wet down was when a 2L
platypus emptied into our down sleeping bag.  I do not care if it was down
or a synthetic bag, 2L of water in a sleeping bag is not a good thing.

On a side note, the way synthetic bags are now, I could never use one, they
just do not pack down small enough.  Right now my wife and I use a ZPacks
900 fill Power Down Twin size Quit with dry-loft.  It weights in at 30.75
oz and it takes up about half of my wife's pack.  If I were to use
a synthetic bag almost all of her pack would be used for just the sleeping
bag.  That would be a big waste of space.

The Ravens
PCT '96 and '15