[pct-l] current Carson Pass trail conditions

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon May 25 22:57:28 CDT 2015

Dave,

I noticed that I missed this little detail after I hit the ‘send’ button!

Carson Pass, southside, above 9,000 feet had about 2 feet of snow which was very wet! Pinwheels were running down the steeper slopes above Winnemucca Lake off Round Top Mtn indicating a heavy snowpack because of all the recent rain. As long as the nights remain near freezing, hikers will be able to continue to easily walk on the surface till about 10:30am before postholing.

However, if the days become sunny and the temps summer-like, the pack will not last long. The normal thaw rate is in excess of 1 inch per day.

Creek crossings will become the main hazard, but will not last long as there simply is not much snow up there...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org