[pct-l] Is this weather typical? - Sierra City to Belden (Brian Westlander)

CClark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 21:08:58 CDT 2015

Hi Strog and Bling
This weather is not typical.  My husband and I just returned from hiking CA sections DEF. We have now completed our entire MYTH (Multi-Year Thru-Hike), so we have done all the PCT sections.
We saved for last the area we thought would be hottest.  Alas, this was the coldest we have been on any of our section hikes... much colder than we were through the Sierras and Cascades.  On this "desert" section, we were hit by a couple of snowstorms.
But I manage to stay dry in any weather with the following combination of layers.  It will sound like too much to some lightpackers, but these items all double as wind protection, so they keep me warm, too:-- Marmot Mica rain jacket with hood (7 oz)-- O2 rain jacket with hood (5.5 oz)  [runs very large, so order smaller size]-- O2 pants (4 oz)-- emergency poncho (1.5 oz)-- neoprene windsurfing gloves (2.5 oz per pair)optional:  Chrome Dome umbrella (great when it's not windy!) (8oz)
BTW, in addition, for warmth, I include a Mtn Hardwear Ghost Whisperer jacket (6.5 oz) and a Montbell vest (5.5 oz).  I am prone to hypothermia, so I have to take all this clothing.
We also have downloaded the PCTHYOH app, which helps us know when storms are coming, so we can take an extra zero day if needed.
Enjoy your hike,Souldoctor and BoomDone

Message: 2