[pct-l] do you like to run on the PCT?

JB de Anza johnbdeanza at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 23:51:07 CDT 2015

I see this issue has uncorked the usual bottle of unpleasant anecdotes
(e.g., "I once or twice encountered a running event on the same day that I
chose to hike the trail in proper fashion and I didn't like those trail
runners one bit. Therefore, no more running events on the PCT...ever!").

Or maybe we can step back and ask some important questions like how many of
these events actually take place? How big are they? Do some events seem to
create fewer problems than others? If so, why? Do things like timing and
location make a difference?

Is it too much to ask that some individual trail users put up with some
level of inconvenience once a decade(?)...twice a year(?)...once a month(?)
in order to accommodate an entire group of PCT users who have a legitimate
right to use the public trail? If safety is a concern, are there ways we
might fix that?

I don't think we can resolve all of this here in this particular forum, but
one thing we *can* do is avoid using our anecdotal experiences to make
global indictments of entire groups of people who might make much better
allies than manufactured enemies.

JBD