[pct-l] Down trees in section M

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 10:31:16 CDT 2015

Following up on Herb Stroh's report, I also was in section M recently.

May 30: From Packer Lake Saddle to A Tree, there's a down tree about every half mile,
mostly in the 12-18" category.       There was only one that looked dangerous to stock,
on a steep slope and completely blocking the trail, too high to go over and too low to go under.    It was about a mile north of the saddle at Gold Lake, about halfway between
Summit Lake and Oakland Pond.

May 31: From Stafford Mtn to Quincy-LaPorte Rd, there were a few trees down but no problems.
But from A Tree to Stafford Mtn, and especially in the valley of Nelson Creek, I lost count
and there were a number of trees in the 30-36" category that definitely would be troublesome
if not dangerous for stock.

I ended up driving back through LaPorte.    It looked interesting though I didn't stop.
Too bad neither LaPorte nor Quincy are on the trail, (or Chester or Burney or...) but we do
the best we can with the trail towns we have.     It's less a problem for section hikers...
all we have to do is figure out the car shuttles.     I got from A Tree to Quincy LaPorte Rd
on the Johnsville-Gibsonville road in an hour and a quarter, vs probably two and a half
hours via Plumas Eureka and Quincy.