[pct-l] Merrell Moab ventilator

Josh Breslow jbreslowsubs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:21:09 CST 2015

Hey Brian,

I used to love the Moab Ventilator shoes, so much so that I wrote up a
rather lengthy review of them for a review site. I did all of my pre-PCT
hikes/backpacking trips in them and never had an issue. It wasn’t until I
got on the PCT that I found that these shoes were painfully wrong for the
hike. I had never experience so much foot pain from shoes before, so much
so, that I was forced to walk at a snail’s pace. This happened with my
Girlfriend too.  I found that the sole was not rigid enough to support the
long miles each day and I felt each and every rock I stepped on.

I was surprised and shocked that they didn’t work for the job. We ended up
renting a car in Big Bear and driving to the nearest REI to buy some new
shoes. We bought Cascadia Trail runners and loved them. I don’t think I
will hike in anything else now.

Your mile sage may vary, this is just my experience with them.

Josh