[pct-l] Fwd: Camlbak All Clear

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 09:04:33 CST 2015

 I tried the Sawyer a couple of years ago with mixed results.

We did a overnighter in Section E and made camp close to that water tank at the intersection. I proudly plunged the Sawyer bladder into the tank, and it promptly collapsed in on itself. Result, no water. After trying different approaches, I had to dip a gatorade bottle to get water, which sort of defeats the purpose.

I used it later that year on a JMT thru hike. There are places where there is plenty of water, it just isn't deep, so there's no way to dip the bladder. Fortunately, there's not much need to treat water in the Sierra.

I switched back to the Katadyn Hiker. Yes, it's heavy, but it will filter water from extremely small sources of water.

I'm not happy with it, either. Think I'll just go back to boiling water that seems questionable.

Gary