[pct-l] planning - Walker Pass to Mt Whitney (Lone Pine)

sarah estrella skestrella at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 24 17:17:45 CST 2015

WV,

It's hard to know what the snow and water situation will be in late June/early July but so far it looks drier than average.
As far as water, I hiked that section in late summer of last year, a bad drought year. The South Fork of the Kern River was completely dry south of Kennedy Meadows! It was in the 90s most days. I started out carrying as much as 9 liters of water from Highway 58, but never more than 4 l from Walker Pass. Still, water is not plentiful north of there, but if you're resupplying in Kennedy Meadows, you won't have a heavy pack otherwise so extra water won't feel that heavy. Bring something you can scoop with and purifying tablets as back-up to a filter. Spanish Needle Ck was just a trickle into a muddy hole when I was there. Bring the water report and fill up when you can!

Printable campfire permits are available on line now. No need for a separate Whitney permit, unless things have changed in the last 6 months.

For your vehicle and ride questions from Whitney Portal, you might call the store when they open. I had planned to hitch a ride from the Portal to Lone Pine, but it was mid-late morning (I spent the night on the summit) and no one was heading down, so the guy at the store called a friend of his who picked me up for cheap.

I would not leave a vehicle at Walker Pass.

I did not carry a bear can south of KM. Might as well send your resupply in it.

FreeRange