[pct-l] planning - Walker Pass to Mt Whitney (Lone Pine)

The Wilderness Vagabond wildvagabond at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 15:11:27 CST 2015

Thanks FreeRange!
   Permits:  I came to the same conclusion about permits.  I called Inyo (wilderness permits) and also Sequoia.  My conclusion is that:  You get your permit from Sequoia, being sure to specify on the permit that you are going out the Whitney Zone, and it is good for your entire hike.  Wonderful stuff!  Easy too, have permit, will complete it, scan it and return it to Sequoia NF.  Sequoia told me I needed a separate Whitney Permit - but I'm assuming that the Inyo guys know the most about their area.
     Also needed - campfire permit.  Anyone know if alcohol stoves will be OK to use this year?

So - one question answered.  Thanks.

Next issues:  (Walker Pass to junction with JMT, out Whitney to Lone Pine)

Start date?  I'm guessing a July 1st or even a last week in June start date might work.  Looking forward to hearing from those with more experience.  Weigh-in please.

I have the Half-Mile maps and app.

Where might water be an issue?  That is, where will I find, not find water - asking for your best guesses here.

Will too much water be an issue with a late-June start?  Fording the Kern?  Other places?

Snow issues?

Might I be best advised to exit via Cottonwood Pass to Horseshoe?  (I'm tying this section of the PCT to my previously hiked JMT trek, so I'll go at least to this junction -- could backtrack if advisable).

I am planning to leave a vehicle in Lone Pine, so:
    Where is the best place to leave it for two + weeks?  Secure?
     How might I get from Lone Pine to Walker Pass to start the hike?
     Is there parking at Walker Pass?  How safe would a car be there?

Canister:  I'm assuming I might as well carry a bear canister the entire distance, with resupply at Kennedy Meadow.  Feedback?

Incidentally, I discovered a way to individually size your built-to-length bear can (e.g., Bearikade) to fit your pack.  Anyone interested - please write and I'll post my method.

Cheerio and happy hiking.  WildVagabond

http://wildernessvagabond.com/