[pct-l] PCT NOBO Campo in August????

imscotty at aol.com imscotty at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 11:14:43 CST 2015

I am considering starting a PCT section hike this summer. I would like to do the PCT in a linear fashion, probably over six years all in one month chunks. My goal this year would be Campo to Aqua Dulce with a few days at each end to get to the trail and back. The problem? This summer I can only get the month of August off.

My question is, do any of you have experience hiking Southern California in August?  Yes, I know this is a bad idea, that temperatures can exceed 100 degrees, and that water resupply will be a critical problem.   But has anyone done this and lived to tell the tale?

My plan of course would be to start before dawn, siesta in the heat of day, and then hike through sunset. I have not mapped it out yet, but perhaps I could personally cache some water at key points before I start my hike. I certainly would not be relying on trail angels for my water this time of year.

If I wait until 2016 to start, I could possibly take June off instead, but this would be only marginally cooler.  At no time will I ever be able to get the non-summer months off. So, if a summer hike of this section is impossible, my PCT section hike is impossible.

I am considering a SOBO to delay facing a summer hike in the desert, but this will only delay the problem.  Constructive comments are welcome.