[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 86, Issue 6

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:29:17 CST 2015

Hey Veena,

Even in a low, drought year, mid May is gonna get you some snow in the High
Sierra of the JMT.  In a normal year it's a lot of snow, and in a drought
year, it'll be much less, but not nonexistent.  It's just the end of winter
up there in mid May no matter what year you go, it's just the amount of
snow and the amount of runoff in the rivers and streams that is different.
But it's still potentially very cold at night, and maybe during the day.
It's also possible to get some really warm stretches.

Last year many folks were able to enter the Sierra in mid May but their
pictures still show snow, but basically it was a piece of cake with lots of
trail melted out.  In 2010, a relatively high snow year (we had it cold and
there was very little melt off) we entered at the end of the first week of
June and traveled mostly on snow for 5 weeks across the JMT and north of
that.  May is still very early for the JMT unless you want some potentially
winter weather and conditions.  That is not to say don't do it, but prepare
yourself for the potentiality.  Non winter weather in the High Sierra isn't
guaranteed till July, August and Sept.  And even early July can have plenty
of snow in a high snow year.

So follow the weather and the PCTL is a good place to do that as we'll all
be talking about the year as it progresses, but plan for contingencies.
Mid May is great for some of the other PCT desert sections, or go out to
the coast and hike in the mountains east of Big Sur, or into the Sisquoc
east of Santa Barbara.  Both are incredible wilderness areas, very rugged
trails with abundant water that time of year, great swimming holes, and
spring to summer weather.  And you can drive from LA.

Have fun whatever you do,

Shroomer