[pct-l] Bear canisters in the Sierra

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Apr 20 14:29:07 CDT 2015

> I've heard that Ursasacks (just the newer white ones) are now legal everywhere except Yosemite and by using bear boxes there they can work. There is just supposed to be one tricky place when leaving Yosemite. Supposedly the other parks are OK with this. They weigh 8.5 oz & also fit in your pack easier.
> -Any opinions or knowledge on this?

The "legality" of the bear canister approval has always been
controversial. The only two national parks that "require" bear
canisters are SEKI and Yosemite (and the Inyo NF area in between) so
"the other parks" being OK with this really has no bear-ing

The Ursack website says they have asked for approval for the Ursack
White, but it doesn't say anything about getting it. I would assume
they would be shouting from the tree tops if they had.

http://www.ursack.com/update/

The "tricky place" in Yosemite, is the 50+ miles section , from Glen
Aulin to the northern boundary of Yosemite NP at Dorothy Lake
Pass that I mentioned before.